Why I Believe in God
Today, I’d like to share something more personal with you.
When I first became a believer in Jesus, I often needed to review the reasons I was believing in God.
For months, this thought would pop into my mind, “I’m believing in God?! Why am I?”
And I’d have to literally list 5 reasons, one at a time. At the end, I’d say, “Ok, that’s why.”
It was a personal inventory. An intellectual review. Keeping myself honest. It’s too easy for Satan to throw doubts at us. People challenging us. Whispers of, “How do you know this isn’t all made up in your head?”
Ephesians 6:10-13 says:
“Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil.”
Part of my armor is reviewing the facts which support my faith.
I recently wrote up a new list – why I am believing in God. It won’t all make sense to you (I wrote it for me). But I’m willing to share it with you, because you and I have that kind of trusted relationship. Here it is:
Why I believe:
1. God must exist – design of universe, earth’s atmosphere, position in universe, human body, DNA, evolution, creativity in species, beauty, properties of water, too obvious not by chance, not without plan.
2. Not multiple gods – Big Bang, singular start, one supreme, mindful, powerful, purposeful God.
3. Quality of life, character, message – loving each other is the foundation, caring, helping, all leads to life, to moral excellence, humility, wisdom, inner integrity that everyone sees as ideal, and that brings joy and meaning to life. People I most admire build their life on Jesus.
4. Bible – reliable historical document of people, places, events. Archeology and textual manuscript analysis, Dead Sea Scrolls, confirm their timing and place in history. The New Testament has been confirmed by archeology, authors confirmed, places, events. Roman and Jewish historians and early church fathers’ writings.
5. Jesus & resurrection – the life and words of Jesus are superior, fulfills OT prophesy for Messiah, lineage of David, place of birth, life, miracles, message so unexpected but only workable approach to life, resurrection is proof which Jesus stated beforehand, which affected the lives of disciples.
6. Answered prayer – God’s guidance re sorority, ABS, staff, Mike, EScom.
7. God’s ability to fulfill his plans – all of the above, plus keeping John & Paul around, donors, Keith S., Andy, Jerry, Rich, Perry, Ken, John C., Ann, Roger, Mark, Mike’s encouragement.
8. God’s willingness to speak personally to me – countless times of going to Scripture and God answering my questions.
9. Logical – most reasonable way to approach life, lack of any better options, nothing else makes sense, it is reliable truth, explaining life on earth and future life, and conflict in the world. It rings of truth, intelligent, able to be researched, based on facts not philosophy or imagination.
Why do YOU believe in God? Make your own list. It might have only one or a few points. That’s fine. It doesn’t matter.
1Peter 3:15 – “…in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…”
God is SO gracious to provide reasons to believe in him. He didn’t have to.